St Paul’s Cathedral is located on the site where the first public Christian service was held in 1935. Initially the site was a corn market until around 1848 until it was made available for St Paul’s Parish Church which was a bluestone church of St Paul the Apostle (consecrated in 1852). This remained in place until it’s demolition in 1885 to make way for the current cathedral (pictured below).
The current church was designed by William Butterfield, in a Gothic transitional style. The first foundation stone was laid in 1880 and by the 22nd of January 1891 the cathedral was consecrated by the Rt Revd Charles Perry (Bishop of Melbourne).
The spires began to be erected in 1926, in accordance with the design of John Barr which superseded butterfield’s original design. Towards the 1960’s extensive work was conducted on the exterior of the cathedral, and the organ which was restored in 1989 thanks to a National Trust appeal.
The cathedral is regularly open to visitors for self-guided tours, in addition services are held daily. It is well worth a visit even for those who are not religious (myself included) just to marvel at the amazing architecture within.
The Cathedral is located on the corner of Flinders St, and Swanston St in Melbourne, Victoria Australia (Diagonally across the road from Flinders St Station).
[pano file=”http://panorama.travishale.com/StPauls.html” width=”100%” height=”1024″]
Click Here to View the Pano in Full Screen (Great for Mobile Devices)